Curious about what different gemstones mean and how they can impact your life? We've put together a master list of gemstone meanings to help catch you up to speed. We've also paired the meanings with handmade jewelry picks so you can find or gift your favorite stone!
1. Amethyst: Amethyst is known to increase intuition, prosperity (especially in business), and contentment.
2. Aquamarine: Aquamarine is derived from the Latin word for seawater (aqua marina, “water of the sea”). This is a stone of the sea and a stone of the mystic. Natural Aquamarine. Element: Water. Metaphysical Properties: Psychic abilities, peace, courage, communication and purification.
3. Black onyx: A powerful protection stone, black onyx absorbs and transforms negative energy, and helps to prevent the drain of personal energy. Black onyx aids the development of emotional and physical strength and stamina, especially when support is needed during times of stress, confusion or grief.
4. Black tourmaline: Black Tourmaline is a powerful stone, with a long history among many cultures of providing protection during ritual work. It was traditionally used to point out a cause of trouble or an offender, and to indicate a good direction in which to move.
5. Blue chalcedony: Blue chalcedony is a stone with a gentle energy that feels kind of dreamy. It is said to foster balance between mind, body and spirit. It is a stone of calm and peace that is reputed to reduce or negate hostility, anger, and irritation.
6. Blue lapis: Lapis Lazuli is one of the most sought after stones in use since man's history began. Its deep, celestial blue remains the symbol of royalty and honor, gods and power, spirit and vision. It is a universal symbol of wisdom and truth.
7. Chalcedony: Blue chalcedony is a stone with a gentle energy that feels kind of dreamy. It is said to foster balance between mind, body and spirit. It is a stone of calm and peace that is reputed to reduce or negate hostility, anger, and irritation.
8. Chrysoprase: Prosperity, Yin / Yang Balance. Chrysoprase is powerful stone. It is said to bring good fortune and prosperity, as well as business success.
9. Dalmatian jasper: Dalmatian jasper is a stone that lessens or removes disillusionment. It helps one to see their strengths and weaknesses, and encourages grounding both with the Earth and in reality. Dalmatian Jasper increases loyalty and is beneficial for long term relationships. It brings a sense of fun to one's life.
10. Labradorite: Labradorite (also called Spectrolite sometimes) is a considered by mystics to be a stone of transformation and magic. It is said to clear, balance and protect the aura, as well as being an excellent stone for general protection.
11. Moss agate: Moss agate grounds you, corrects left-right brain imbalances and stimulates creativity.
12. Opalite: Opalite is subtle yet highly energetic. It is ideal for meditation and is known for helping to open the 3rd eye.
13. Pyrite: Pyrite is known to promote health and well-being and shield against a negative environment.
14. Rose Quartz: Rose quartz is known as the "love" stone and is believed to enhance love in any situation.
15. Turquoise: Turquoise is known to promote empowerment, self-expression, and positive communication.
16. White Howlite: Howlite is a super-calming stone and many people use it to relieve stress of all kinds. It makes an excellent antidote to insomnia due to an overactive mind.